Friday, June 15, 2012

Vocabulary

                                                         Daily Cafe- Vocabulary


I have a Word Jar in my classroom to help my kiddos new vocab and to learn the meanings of new words. When I am teaching the Daily Cafe and we are going over the vocabulary part of the menu, I read them "Donovan's Word Jar" It's about a little boy that collects words and by a happy accident the senior citizens at his grandmothers nursing home get into and steal the words because they need that word.

This year I had the high kiddos for reading and I had some awesome word collectors. They would bring in words every day for the jar. I had one little guy who brought in hypoallergenic, psycho and
elegant in one day!!  That was a good discussion.  We went over the meanings of the words each day and then we put them into our jar.  

This summer I found three new books on being a word collector. Love, love, love that two out of the three characters are boys.





Can hardly wait to read these and develop new lessons around them !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment